STRESS-FX is formulated to lower cortisol levels and promote a state of calmness and relaxation.
When we feel stress, the body responds as though we are being chased by a lion. It jumps into a ‘fight-or-flight’ state and releases a cocktail of hormones from the adrenal glands, including cortisol and adrenaline. These hormones redirect blood flow to large muscle groups, increase our breathing and heart rate, and give us a boost of energy. This response is meant to help us survive when we’re threatened, and it would be very helpful if we were actually face-to-face with a lion.
The problem is that the body can’t tell the difference between being chased by a lion and being stuck in traffic or facing a tight deadline, so it responds in the same way. When we’re faced with stressful situations day in and day out, the body thinks we’re being chased by a lion all the time.
The opposite of being in fight-or-flight (sympathetic nervous system state) is called ‘rest-and-digest’ (parasympathetic nervous system state). The body cannot exist in both states at the same time, and it should only enter fight-or-flight on rare occasions. However, most of us face a multitude of stressors each day, and burning the candle at both ends takes a toll on our mental and physical health.
During the fight-or-flight response, the body takes the following actions:
- Sends extra blood flow toward large muscles and the heart, to help us run or fight the lion. This increases our risk of high blood pressure, heart disease, and stroke1.
- Takes blood flow away from digestion and detoxification organs. This causes indigestion, heartburn, bloating, and can trigger flare-ups of digestive conditions like IBD and IBS1.
- Suppresses the immune system, because dealing with a lion is more pressing than fighting an infection1.
- Breaks down muscle and increases fat storage to stockpile energy for future lion encounters. This causes us to gain weight, especially around the abdomen1.
- Reroutes blood flow in the brain away from areas responsible for learning and long-term memory, because there’s no critical thinking needed when the only thought is, “run!”. This causes us to experience brain fog, poor memory, and difficulty concentrating1.
- Suppresses sleep because melatonin, our sleep hormone, is inhibited by cortisol. This results in fatigue, anxiety, depression, and difficulty coping with stress1.
The most important way to reduce cortisol and minimize these fight-or-flight reactions is to reduce stress. Unfortunately, that is not always possible, so supplementation can help your body cope with stress more effectively. STRESS-FX is formulated to help us maintain our healthy rest-and-digest state. It helps us alleviate stress by lowering cortisol levels, and it promotes relaxation through boosting our calming hormone, GABA (Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid). STRESS-FX improves mental clarity, anxiety, and memory while helping us to recover more quickly from the physical and mental stressors of daily life.
Dr. Hilary’s Lifestyle Tips To Reduce Stress
- Self-care: What is something that you love to do? Build that activity into your weekly routine and make it a priority. Some ideas are going for a walk, getting a massage, or seeing a friend. It doesn’t have to be a big ordeal, even one hour a week is beneficial.
- Recognize stressors: When are you most stressed, and is there something you can do to change it? Oftentimes setting firm boundaries (no emails after a certain time), letting things go (my house doesn’t need to be spotless), or asking for help (can you watch the kids?) are the biggest steps we can take to limit stress.
- Breathe: The body can’t exist in both fight-or-flight and rest-and-digest at the same time. When you feel yourself switching into fight-or-flight, stop and take three slow, deep breaths. This forces your body back into rest-and-digest and helps us to feel calm.
- Meditate: Daily meditation practice helps to lower overall stress levels throughout the whole day. Download a meditation app to help guide you, and start small with five to ten minutes daily.
- Prioritize sleep: Melatonin is our sleep hormone, and it inhibits our stress hormone, cortisol, so getting a night of good sleep is one of the best ways to lower stress. A consistent routine is the best way to set yourself up for successful sleep. Set a bedtime, turn all screens off 30 minutes before bed and use that time to wind-down, and sleep in a dark room or use a sleep mask.
- Counselling: Consider seeking out professional help, especially if you’re experiencing anxiety or depression. Therapy helps us process challenging situations, understand how they impact our mood and provides us with tools and support for moving forward.
- Gentle exercise: Exercise reduces cortisol and boosts endorphins (our feel-good hormones). Research supports almost any type of exercise for stress reduction, so choose something that you enjoy. If you feel depleted after a workout instead of invigorated, you have pushed yourself too hard and likely increased your stress levels instead of lowering them. Less is often more when it comes to using exercise as a coping tool for stress.
- Keep blood sugar stable: When our blood sugar spikes and crashes, it makes us feel on edge and makes it more difficult to cope with stress. Minimize sugar, and focus on having fat, fibre, and protein with every meal and snack. Simple tricks include adding nuts, seeds, hemp hearts, or beans to keep blood sugar balanced. For example, pair almond butter with an apple, add beans to a salad, or chia seeds to yogurt.
The reality of our daily lives is that we’re constantly bombarded with stress. Unfortunately, the body can’t tell the difference between a threat to our survival and an important meeting at work. The body always responds to stress in the same way, by jumping out of rest-and-digest mode and into fight-or-flight mode. When frequent, this response to stress has widespread negative impacts on our health, including digestive issues, high blood pressure, heart disease, insomnia, anxiety, and weight gain.
The most important thing to do to prevent a negative stress response is to reduce our stressors and learn to cope with them when they happen. We should engage in self-care, meditation, prioritize sleep, exercise, keep blood sugar stable, and seek counselling to lower our stress levels, but we may benefit from additional support. STRESS-FX is formulated to lower cortisol levels and promote a state of calmness and relaxation. It lowers anxiety, improves memory and concentration, and improves sleep. STRESS-FX helps us to respond to stressful situations in a healthier way to lessen the impacts of stress on the body and mind.
How It Works
Rhodiola Root Extract (Rhodiola rosea) 3% Rosavins, 1% Salidroside
- Adaptogenic, meaning it lowers cortisol to enhance our ability to cope with stress2.
- Boosts energy, increases mental clarity and improves anxiety and low mood2,3.
- Reduces stress-related symptoms, improves low mood and anxiety, and improves cognitive function by targeting glutamate receptors in the brain, which stimulates the release of our feel-good hormones: GABA, serotonin, and dopamine4.
- Promotes relaxation, and assists with falling asleep, reduces sleep disturbance4.
KSM-66 Ashwagandha Root (Withania somnifera) 12:1 Extract, 5% withanolines
- Reduces cortisol levels, thereby improving feelings of stress and anxiety5.
- Improves memory and cognitive function, helping us to focus and think more clearly6.
- KM-66 is a high concentration extract of the most biologically active components of the Ashwagandha herb, providing a greater benefit to the body than other formulations.
GABA (Gamma Aminobutyric Acid)
- An inhibitory neurotransmitter in the brain, meaning it promotes feelings of calm and relaxation by taking us out of fight-or-flight and putting us into a rest-and-digest state7.
- Reduces anxiety and improves the quality of sleep by regulating our deep-sleep states 8.
Passionflower Herb Top (Passiflora incarnata) 10:1 Extract
- Promotes relaxation and significantly improves nervousness and anxiety by boosting GABA levels in the brain9.
Schisandra Fruit (Schisandra chinensis) 10:1 Extract
- Adaptogenic, meaning it supports our ability to cope with stress and promotes relaxation through acting on the serotonin pathway10.
Skullcap Herb Top (Scutellaria lateriflora) 4:1 Extract
- Reduces stress and anxiety by stimulating GABA receptors in the brain to promote relaxation11.
Each Capsule Contains
Rhodiola Root Extract (Rhodiola rosea) 3% Rosavins, 1% Salidroside - 150 mg
L-Theanine - 100 mg
KSM-66 Ashwagandha Root (Withania somnifera) 12:1 Extract, 5% withanolides -
(QCE 1.2 g) 100 mg
GABA (Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid) - 100 mg
Passionflower Herb Top (Passiflora incarnata) 10:1 Extract - (QCE 250 mg) 25 mg
Schisandra Fruit (Schisandra chinensis) 10:1 Extract - (QCE 250 mg) 25 mg
Skullcap Herb Top (Scutellaria lateriflora) 4:1 Extract - (QCE 100 mg) 25 mg
Non-Medicinal Ingredients: Vegetable Capsule Shell (Hypromellose), Oryza sativa (Rice) hull powder
Priority Allergens: None
Healthology does not use genetically modified ingredients. All ingredients are NON-GMO/GMO-FREE.
Recommended Dose (Adults): Take 1 capsule with water in the morning upon waking and 1 capsule with water in the evening around dinner time. Take as needed. Avoid taking before bedtime.
Duration Of Use: Consult a health care practitioner for use beyond 12 continuous weeks. Consult a health care practitioner if sleeplessness persists for more than 4 weeks (chronic insomnia).
Do not use this product if you have bipolar disorder, bipolar spectrum disorder, are pregnant and/or breastfeeding. Consult a health care practitioner prior to use if you are taking antidepressant medication, hormone replacement therapy, or birth control pills. Consult a health care practitioner if symptoms persist or worsen. Avoid taking with alcohol or products that increase drowsiness (products with sedative properties).
Stop use if you experience irritability, insomnia, or if hypersensitivity/allergy occurs. Some people may experience drowsiness. Exercise caution if operating heavy machinery, driving a motor vehicle, or involved in activities requiring mental alertness.
Consult a health care practitioner prior to use if you have had recent surgery or have an upcoming surgery. Keep out of reach of children.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.