Healthy digestion is the foundation of a healthy body, and a healthy colon plays a key role in your overall digestive health.
The colon has two primary functions. First, to help the body eliminate toxins and waste products. Second, the colon works to reabsorb water from the stool.
We should aim to have at least one easy-to-pass, fully evacuated bowel movement per day. If you are having infrequent, difficult-to-pass, or incompletely evacuated bowel movements, then you’re likely experiencing constipation. The causes of constipation are many, with dehydration, inflammation in the gut, unhealthy gut flora, stress, low-fibre diet, and a slow metabolism being common factors1.
The wave-like contractions and relaxations of muscles that move stool through the bowel are called peristalsis, and diminished peristaltic function can lead to constipation1. When stool sits in the colon for a long period of time, it re-absorbs too much water, making the stool dry, hard, and difficult to pass.
The concern with constipation is that it prevents the proper elimination of harmful waste products from the body. This causes autointoxication, where we reabsorb metabolites from the colon and it leads to a build-up of harmful toxins throughout the body. Constipation and autointoxication lead to symptoms of fatigue, hormonal issues, brain fog, low mood, acne, pain, and bloating2.
Although we should strive to identify and fix the cause(s) of constipation, we may occasionally need additional support to keep our bowels moving regularly. GO-LAX gently and effectively relieves occasional constipation by stimulating the natural peristaltic action of the colon and drawing water into the bowel to soften stool. GO-LAX does not contain purgative herbs like senna and cascara sagrada, which can cause cramping, pain, and are more likely to cause laxative dependence.
Dr. Hilary’s Lifestyle Tips For Constipation
- Drink more water: There is no exact science to the amount of water each person needs but aim for at least 2 liters of water daily, and more if you’re sweating, in hot weather, or with exercise10. A good indication that you’re well-hydrated is if your urine is a light straw colour throughout the day. Try setting reminders on your phone or computer to remind you to drink water or herbal tea.
- Increase fibre: Our daily requirement for fibre is 25g for women and 38g for men10. High fibre foods include chia, flax, whole grains like brown rice, quinoa, and oats, legumes like beans and chickpeas, and vegetables like avocado, broccoli, beets, artichokes, and dark leafy greens.
- Physical activity: Exercise helps to prevent and relieve constipation because it stimulates the natural contractions of the intestines and decreases the amount of water that is reabsorbed from the stool into the body, making stools softer and easier to pass10. Even gentle exercise, such as walking for 20 minutes daily, can improve digestion.
- Manage stress: When we’re stressed, we’re in a “fight or flight” state, meaning our body shifts blood flow to vital organs like the heart, lungs, and large muscles and this can contribute to indigestion and constipation. When we’re relaxed, we’re in a “rest and digest” state, meaning our body sends blood flow to the digestive system. Meditation, deep breathing, and prioritizing sleep are effective ways to manage stress and improve digestion.
- Treat the cause: A slow metabolism caused by an underactive thyroid can cause constipation, so it is important to screen the thyroid through bloodwork if you’re experiencing frequent constipation. Eating inflammatory foods like gluten and dairy, or having an unhealthy gut flora, can also contribute to constipation in some people.
Healthy bowel movements are the body’s way of eliminating toxins and waste. If we have infrequent, difficult to pass, or incomplete bowel movements, we are not adequately detoxifying the body. This can lead to fatigue, hormonal issues, acne, pain, bloating, and inflammation.
It is important to identify and work toward improving the cause of constipation through ensuring proper hydration, fibre intake, physical activity, stress management, and addressing any underlying functional or metabolic issues. Even when we’re doing all the right things, we sometimes need extra support to have healthy, fully evacuated daily bowel movements.
GO-LAX provides a gentle, effective solution for occasional constipation. GO-LAX works to hydrate and soften the stool, promote peristalsis, soothe the gut lining, and improve the microbiome. GO-LAX promotes healthy bowel function, without cramping or pain, to support your body’s natural ability to eliminate waste and maintain good overall health.
How It Works
- Draws water into the bowel, which improves hydration in the digestive tract and softens the stool, making it easier to pass3.
Chinese Rhubarb Root and Rhizome Extract (Rheum palmatum) 10% Rhein
- Inhibits the channels that reabsorb water from the bowel, which softens the stool and makes it easier to pass4.
- Gently activates pelvic nerves and motility receptors in the colon to enhance peristalsis and promote bowel motility4.
Cape Aloe Leaf Latex Extract (Aloe ferox) 4% Barbaloin
- Increases water content in the bowel to soften stool and stimulate its movement through the colon5.
Slippery Elm Bark (Ulmus rubra – stem bark inner)
- Soothes and heals the digestive tract to improve symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), including reductions in pain and straining, and improved stool consistency and frequency6.
- Increases peristaltic action to promote regular bowel movements. Triphala improves the number, frequency, and consistency of bowel movements while decreasing the abdominal pain and bloating caused by constipation8.
- Rich in vitamin C, flavonoids, and polyphenols that provide anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects on the bowel, protecting the gut mucosa and improving symptoms of IBS9.
- Supports the gut microbiota through inhibiting the growth of some undesirable bacterial strains, and promoting the growth of beneficial bacteria, including Bifidobacterium and Lactobacillus species9.
Each Capsule Contains
Elemental Magnesium (magnesium hydroxide, magnesium oxide) - 175 mg
Chinese Rhubarb Root & Rhizome Extract (Rheum palmatum) 10% Rhein - 100 mg
Cape Aloe Leaf Latex Extract (Aloe ferox) 4% Barbaloin - 100 mg
Slippery Elm Bark (Ulmus rubra - stem bark inner) - 50 mg
Triphala - 100 mg
Amla (Phyllanthus emblica – fruit, dried) 6:1 Extract - (QCE 200 mg) 33.3 mg
Harad (Terminalia chebula – fruit, dried) 6:1 Extract - (QCE 200 mg) 33.3 mg
Belleric (Terminalia bellirica – fruit, dried) 6:1 Extract - (QCE 200 mg) 33.3 mg
Non-Medicinal Ingredients: Vegetable Capsule Shell (Hypromellose), Oryza sativa (Rice) hull powder, gum arabic, sunflower oil.
Priority Allergens: None
Healthology does not use genetically modified ingredients. All ingredients are NON-GMO/GMO-FREE.
Recommended Dose (Adults): Take a single dose (1 – 2 capsules) with water, at bedtime, two to three times per week. Allow at least 6-12 hours for the laxative effect to occur. Frequency may be increased up to once daily if results are not observed. Maintain adequate fluid intake throughout the day. Take 2 hours before or after taking other medications or health products. The correct individual dose is the smallest one required to produce a soft-formed stool.
Duration Of Use: Consult a health care practitioner for use beyond 7 continuous days.
Do not use this product if you have abnormal constrictions of the gastrointestinal tract, potential or existing intestinal blockage, atonic bowel, appendicitis, inflammatory colon disease, such as Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis, abdominal pain of unknown origin, bile duct obstruction, undiagnosed rectal bleeding, severe dehydration with depleted water or electrolytes, hemorrhoids, diarrhea, or are pregnant or breast-feeding.
Do not use in patients with cramps, colic, nephritis, or undiagnosed abdominal symptoms such as pain, nausea, vomiting, or fever. Consult a health care practitioner if you have faecal impaction, kidney disorder, are taking cardiac medications such as cardiac glycosides or antiarrhythmic medications, thiazide diuretics, corticosteroids, licorice root, or other medications or health products that may aggravate electrolyte balance. Reduce dose or stop use if you experience abdominal pain, cramps, spasm, or diarrhea. Consult a health care practitioner if symptoms persist or worsen.
Stop use if hypersensitivity/allergy occurs. May cause cramp-like discomfort in the gastrointestinal tract. At 2 capsules per day, some people may experience diarrhea.
Consult a health care practitioner prior to use if you have had recent surgery or have an upcoming surgery. Keep out of reach of children.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.